I am a Boy Scout.
Yup. You read that right. I, DoctorDiva, am a card carrying Boy Scout.
When my son joined a few years ago, I told my husband that this was HIS gig. I'd done the Girl Scout bit with my daughter, even volunteering as an assistant leader for two years.
Well, my husband's job didn't let him participate. He works more insane hours than I. So, it fell to me.
Little did I know what I was getting myself into.
I am now the Troop Committee Chairman. I help plan and organize the troop for events and trips and campouts.
I help the Scouts get their Merit Badge as a Merit Badge Counselor for the Personal Fitness Badge. I am the Popcorn Kernal this year.
I am helping with organizing drivers for trips.
I WANT my troop to succeed.
It's hard work.
I do this in my spare time. The little I have.
I'm not great at it yet, but I'm learning.
I give my time, and get:
- TO CAMP!!
- I get to give back to my community and help steer kids in a program aimed at leadership, community, responsibility.
- I get to wear a uniform (the pants are just not meant for women of a certain age and size though..)
- I get the satisfaction of knowing that I'm doing something good.
- I get out of the house and away from the TV or computer, or the refrigerator.
- I meet all kinds of cool and interesting people who are ALSO giving their time.
- I strongly recommend finding volunteer positions for yourself.
There is an article:
"The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A Review of Recent Research" which can be downloaded at
- It states briefly, that OLDER volunteers are most likely to benefit from volunteering. (60 years +)
- It improves physical, social, and mental health.
- You have to volunteer over 100 hours a year to benefit from the health improvements. It's called, "considerable volunteering".
- Volunteering improves life satisfaction and lowers rates of depression.
- It self reinforces the physical well-being
- Individuals who volunteer live longer.
SO, Get healthy and volunteer. It's WAY more fun than dieting and exercise, and you will live better and longer.